Re: Figures referenced in the Developer's Guide

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: febin jacob <febinjacob(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Figures referenced in the Developer's Guide
Date: 2012-05-01 02:26:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm not real familiar with the docs conventions of such ancient
> versions, but it looks like the 7.3 docs (arch-dev.sgml, for your
> example) contain a few references to removed and commented-out
> figures. Your \ref{plan} snippet is looking for a section containing
> this figure:
> \epsfig{figure=figures/plan.ps}
> I looked through a few 7.x tarballs, and saw some included .ps
> graphics, though I don't see that particular one, or a "figures"
> directory. Maybe someone else happens to know the history of those
> figures.

Well, like it says at the top of the file, arch-dev.sgml was originally
an extract from Stefan Simkovics' thesis, which one can infer was
prepared in some flavor of TeX. I doubt that we ever did import the
figures from that, since they didn't match up very well with the
capabilities of our not-TeX docs toolchain. (A quick look in the
git history seems to confirm this --- Tom Lockhart seems to have
imported the thesis text here:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ba8808b2a668f8f3d1682593915023428f963230
and there's no sign of figures there or in any nearby commit.)

If you're looking for pretty pictures I'd suggest you check out
Bruce's internals talks. I think this is the current version:
http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/internalpics.pdf