Re: Where is PLbash ??

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Friedrich Dodt <friedrich(dot)dodt(at)efonds24(dot)de>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is PLbash ??
Date: 2002-06-25 22:01:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> What is the preferred way to implement non-database side effects, such as
> triggering emails when certain events occur? We should try to explain
> this somewhere.
> Certainly, PL/sh is not the preferred way. It's terribly inefficient and
> not nearly portable.

As Jan pointed out, either plperlu or pltclu can accomplish just about
anything you'd want in that line, even without the escape hatch of
firing a shell script.

I think Bruce has correctly identified a documentation deficiency:
there's not any material explaining the transaction-unsafety risks of
using these PLs to do stuff outside the database. We should talk
about that someplace.

My opinion is that the *preferred* way would involve having a background
client-side task that watches for things to do (eg via NOTIFY/LISTEN),
and then updates the database to indicate that it's done it. This
doesn't require any unsafe PL programming at all, but it does mean extra
work to set up a suitable client task. An example would make a great
contrib item ...