Re: postmaster crashing the server in 7.0.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster crashing the server in 7.0.2
Date: 2000-07-13 18:14:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
> Sometimes when I send an sql command to postmaster from a trigger written
> in c, the postmaster starts to eat up an all the processor time, and it
> becomes necessary to phycially turn off the server. I can execute the
> same command from a script, or within psql and it works fine.

> I suspect it has to do with the lenght of the sql statement.

I doubt it. I think you're running into some other sort of bug;
or, quite possibly, there's something wrong with your C code.
Next time it happens, could you attach to the busy process with gdb
and get a backtrace? As postgres user,
gdb /path/to/postgres/executable
attach PID-of-looping-backend
bt
It would help if you've compiled the backend with -g beforehand.