Re: in(...) clause and PreparedStatement

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Sergey Pariev <egy(at)tnet(dot)dp(dot)ua>
Cc: Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: in(...) clause and PreparedStatement
Date: 2005-06-14 08:29:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Sergey,

Doing big processing in chunks is a good thing to do. It will avoid long
running transactions, and allow you to interrupt the operation if
needed.
However, there might be a better way to do it then retrieving the id's
and using "IN": use a temporary table to store the id's, and then use
the subselect query on that table. It should be fast, cause it will only
contain the id's you want to process. The "temporary" table could easily
be a permanent table, and contain more than one set of processing ids,
and a special "transactionid" field you can select on. After processing
you can delete the unnecessary rows to keep the table small, and
probably you want to vacuum it often.
The big advantage is that with this solution you can use prepared
statements, the code will be simpler, chunking is easily achieved by
only selecting so many ids to the temp table, and it is probably also
the fastest way you can process the data, as you don't have to move any
data back and forth between the server and the client.

HTH,
Csaba.