Password authentication failed for user

From: Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Password authentication failed for user
Date: 2005-06-07 15:17:52
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a database that is used every day for the past year and all of a
sudden, this morning, I get a report that a user cannot login. I have
doubled checked the pg_hba.conf file, which has not been changed in
several months. But only this one user even after resetting the
password, any other user works fine and if I update the pg_hba.conf file
to trust that user, it works. What can cause this? I don't know if I
should post by pg_hba.conf file here, but like I said, nothing has
changed in several months and this problem just appeared today.

--
Robert