Re: Very slow bytea extraction

From: "msmbarabino(at)virgilio(dot)it" <msmbarabino(at)virgilio(dot)it>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very slow bytea extraction
Date: 2007-03-22 10:59:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>In psql the trick is to use unaligned display mode, else psql itself
>eats a whole lot of time trying to nicely format those 250KB rows:

Even using unaligned display mode (\a) it still takes more than 1
minute

>I surmise that your problem is likewise on the client side,
but you
>weren't very specific about what client code you were using.
Look
>for bottlenecks associated with processing of very wide rows...

Every client I use is affected by the problem.
The main client is a
java program that connects to the db through jdbc. Even writing a
simple program that only performs a select query doesn't solve the
problem.
A select query issued using pgAdmin takes the same time and so
does the show data command in pgAdmin

Maybe this is a problem related
to the win32 version of postgres (I haven't tried to run this db under
linux)

Regards

Massimo