Re: Autonomous Transactions

From: Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL - GENERAL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autonomous Transactions
Date: 2005-06-03 20:10:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> > a way to enable a function to commit a unit of work that
> > does not affect the caller's transaction.

> you can establish an independent connection within a function in, say,
> PL/Perl or PL/Python.

Okay, multiple connections seems to be my best shot. However, I would
like standard developers to be able to stay in PL/pgSQL and SQL. If
each of our anonymous transactions needs to be coded in PL/Perl then
people are not as happy. (Silly people.)

So, can I write some dirty little utility functions (in PL/Perl, C,
whatever) that a PL/pgSQL caller use to somehow switch connections? The
way our apps are currently structured I'm picturing that each app's
logical connection is actually two physical connections: the main thread
of control happens on one connection, and autonomous transactions happen
on the other connection.