Re: Determining when a row was inserted

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Wiebe de Jong <wiebedj(at)shaw(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Determining when a row was inserted
Date: 2005-06-03 18:53:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Reply at bottom...

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 13:40, Alex Turner wrote:
> One might even suggest that this should really be a default for all
> tables everywhere, because at some time or another, someone wants to
> know when something got put in the database...
>
> Alex.
>
> On 6/3/05, Wiebe de Jong <wiebedj(at)shaw(dot)ca> wrote:
> The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default
> value of now().
> Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have
> already been
> created.
>
> Wiebe

No, this is a terrible idea as a default. while I wouldn't mind having
a switch for it, the cost of storing a timestamp AND having to produce
it for each insert is not worth it, since there are just as likely to be
tables no one cares a wit about when they were last changed.

That kind of designing is what leads to bloated, overweight programs...