Re: Tablespaces

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2005-06-03 07:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 08:41 +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I'm interested if anyone is using tablespaces? Do we have any actual
> > reports of people actually using them, to advantage, in the field??
> >
> > Maybe the next postgresql.org survey could be on tablespace usage?
> >

> I have seen that tablespaces are widely used and highly appreciated.
> I have not seen people complaining about the current implementation.

My recent experience is that it is mostly the new Windows users who are
using 8.0. Yes, there are people using Tablespaces on those. The only
complaint is why can't you move pg_xlog easily also?

The migration to 8.0 for a many users appears very slow, with many
PostgreSQL users still planning to enter production on 7.3 and 7.4. This
has much to do with supported versions of integrated products, rather
than any lack of interest in 8.0.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs