Re: DatabaseMetaData.getExtraNameCharacters

From: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe(at)eppesuigoccas(dot)homedns(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DatabaseMetaData.getExtraNameCharacters
Date: 2005-05-25 18:10:22
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Kris,

Il giorno mer, 25-05-2005 alle 12:08 -0500, Kris Jurka ha scritto:
[...]
> Postgresql allows pretty much any character that is valid in your encoding
> to be used in an unquoted identifier, so trying to list them all would be
> impossible, but there should be no problem using them.

Thanks for your reply, but I would really like to have a list of valid
or invalid characters in order to test the string before executing the
statement. There are characters that should be excluded: $%&#^°§[} ...

If the valid characters list is really huge, is there any list of
invalid characters and a JDBC3.0 method that return it?

I checked that mySQL gives '#$' as result string. What are the results
given by other JDBCs?

Bye,
Giuseppe