Re: Non-ASCII locales (was:Re: Imperfect solutions)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII locales (was:Re: Imperfect solutions)
Date: 2001-05-31 16:50:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Looking through the archives Ifind some details, such as the function
> locale_is_like_safe() , and I see other details -- but a concise picture of
> what one can expect operating in a non-locale_is_like_safe() (which
> currently includes ONLY the C and POSIX locales) locale would be,

As of 7.1, LIKE will always work correctly in non-C locales, because it
will never try to use an index. Concise enough?

What we need, and don't have, is reliable information about which
locales the pre-7.1 indexing hack was actually safe in. A complicating
factor is that non-C locale definitions are probably platform-specific.