Re: BUG #1672: Postgres 8.0 doesn't return errors.

From: Gregory L Miller-Kramer <millerg(at)contexttech(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1672: Postgres 8.0 doesn't return errors.
Date: 2005-05-18 13:11:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thanks again for getting back to me.

I entered the statement you wanted. (show client_min_messages;) It
returned...
client_min_messages
---------------------
log
(1 row)

I did try what you mentioned (set client_min_messages to notice;) and it
didn't work.

Any other recommendations? I do appreciate your assistance and I will
endeavor to make sure to try what you suggest before replying.

Thank you,
Greg Miller-Kramer

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 17:05 -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 05:05:03PM -0400, Gregory L Miller-Kramer wrote:
>
> > On system One I enter the database ...
> > psql exdb exdb
> > select misspelled_excol from extable;
> >
> > and an error is displayed...
> > ERROR: column 'misspelled_excol' does not exist
> >
> > On the "Other" system (Postgres 8.0) that error is NOT displayed.
> > Infact, nothing is displayed it just returns to the prompt.
>
> As I asked in my previous message, what's the output of the following
> query?
>
> SHOW client_min_messages;
>
> My first guess is that client_min_messages is set to "fatal" or
> "panic", which, although not among the documented settings for
> client_min_messages, are allowed and would have the effect you
> describe:
>
> test=> SET client_min_messages TO panic;
> SET
> test=> SELECT misspelled_excol FROM extable;
> test=> SET client_min_messages TO notice;
> SET
> test=> SELECT misspelled_excol FROM extable;
> ERROR: column "misspelled_excol" does not exist
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr
> http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Senior Engineer
Context Technologies, Inc.
CRM & Systems Integration - Software, Services, Solutions

1173 Pittsford-Victor Rd.
Suite 110
Pittsford, NY 14534

Phone: 585.586.6775 x8195