Re: keyword list/ecpg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Aubury <mike(dot)aubury(at)aubit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: keyword list/ecpg
Date: 2008-06-13 15:08:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mike Aubury <mike(dot)aubury(at)aubit(dot)com> writes:
> I was thinking about the copy on/copy off for more the header info (before
> the %%) - so we can have a really dumb script that just gets told what blocks
> to copy - and what to ignore..

I think you'll find that doesn't work very well; the script will need at
least some understanding of the bison %-declarations, and it can just
ignore everything else before %%. The reason is that (1) you're going
to need to alter the %type declarations and (2) you're going to need to
merge these declarations with ones from ecpg.

It might be that the merging is best handled via directive-like
comments, but I suspect they'll be in the ecpg-side file not in the
main grammar: you'll have something indicating "insert all the main
%type declarations here", one for "insert precedence declarations
here", etc.

But of course this is just speculation...