Re: conversion security update may have slowed our system?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Szűcs Gábor <surrano(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGA <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: conversion security update may have slowed our system?
Date: 2005-05-09 18:55:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

> =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Sz=FBcs_G=E1bor?= <surrano(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > According to user reports, the production server slowed down noticeably on
> > Friday and is almost unbearably slow today (Monday). My humble question is,
> > could you think of any way this patch could affect overall speed, or is it
> > just a fatal coincidence?
>
> I can't see that there could be any connection. You need to be looking
> for other explanations, not an "undo".

Szucs,

Your original release was 7.3.3 and you have just moved to 7.3.9. Thats
a large jump to have made, so many things are likely to have changed. It
doesn't seem likely that it was the 7.3.8 -> 7.3.9 jump, but many others
things have changed. You need to establish some means of measuring your
system's performance other than user reports, so you can verify problems
objectively.

Tom,

It seems reasonable to publish some backout information with every patch
to say whether or not it is possible to downgrade should a problem be
found. That could also be accompanied with a "has not been tested"
caveat if need be. Maybe Szucs hasn't found one this time, but there is
a possibility and many people don't have a long time to decide with a
production system looking unstable.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs