Re: pgsql: Add option to use ICU as global locale provider

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add option to use ICU as global locale provider
Date: 2022-03-18 17:29:41
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

I found a different problem with src/test/icu/: it fails altogether
if the prevailing locale is "C", because then the database encoding
defaults to SQL_ASCII which our ICU code won't cope with. I'm not
sure if that explains any of the buildfarm failures, but it broke
my local build (yeah, I'm that guy). I un-broke it for the moment
by forcing the test to use UTF8 encoding, but do we want to do
anything smarter than that?