Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove replicaiton FAQ item.

From: Mischa Sandberg <mischa(dot)sandberg(at)telus(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove replicaiton FAQ item.
Date: 2005-04-25 00:04:21
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs

Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>:

> Mischa Sandberg wrote:
> > About all you can say is, it is not possible to implement
> synchronous
> > master-master replication, because of conflict resolution of
> > simultaneous transactions.
>
> You mean asynchronous master-master? There are some implementations
> (Sybase?, pgreplicator) that do this and have conflict resolution.

Forgive my kibitz, then; perhaps my head has been stuck in sand a
while. You're right, I forgot about the nicer bits of Sybase
RepServer. Synchronous replication was scratched early in the project,
because two-phase commit took too long across a dozen db servers.

Pgreplicator advertises itself as a "store-and-forward asynch replica
(sic) engine." (quoth http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/ )
--
"Dreams come true, not free." -- S.Sondheim, ITW