Re: Annoying build warnings from latest Apple toolchain

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Annoying build warnings from latest Apple toolchain
Date: 2023-09-28 23:17:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> I think right now it doesn't work as-is on sonoma, because apple decided to
>> change the option syntax, which is what causes the -e warning below, so the
>> relevant option is just ignored.

> Hmm, we'd better fix that then. Or is it their bug? It looks to me like
> clang's argument is -exported_symbols_list=/path/to/exports.list, so
> it must be translating that to "-e".

Looking closer, the documented syntax is

-exported_symbols_list filename

(two arguments, not one with an "="). That is what our Makefiles
use, and it still works fine with latest Xcode. However, meson.build
thinks it can get away with one argument containing "=", and evidently
that doesn't work now (or maybe it never did?).

I tried

export_fmt = '-exported_symbols_list @0@'

and

export_fmt = ['-exported_symbols_list', '@0@']

and neither of those did what I wanted, so maybe I will have to
study meson's command language sometime soon. In the meantime,
I suppose this might be an easy fix for somebody who knows their
way around meson.