Accessing PostgreSQL Over A Network...

From: "milkmood" <milkmood(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Accessing PostgreSQL Over A Network...
Date: 2005-04-13 14:48:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I have set up PostgresSQL in Redhat 9 on a separate machine. I am
developing a VB.NET app that will read and write to the database, but I
need some guidance in setting up the server. I'm fairly new to remote
DB stuff (and DB in general). What specific steps do I need to do to
set up the server (I have PostgreSQL installed and running). I just
need to know how to access it.

Part of the problem I'm having is that I upgraded my PostgreSQL 7.3.2
to 8.0.2 on the Redhat 9 server, but some of the components
(postmaster, psql) are still thinking it's 7.3.2, so I get an error
when I try to start the server that says "FATAL: 'listen_addresses' is
not a valid option name". So the 7.3.2 postmaster is reading the 8.0.2
pg_hba.conf file. I changed the directory when I upgraded from
/var/lib/pgsql/data to /usr/local/pgsql/data. Don't know if that makes
any difference. What did I miss on the upgrade?

MSN Messenger: " milkmood (at) qwest.net " if you get time.

Thanks,
CP