Re: COPY Fillfactor patch

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY Fillfactor patch
Date: 2005-04-12 17:38:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > During recent tuning of the TPC-C workload, I produced the following
> > patch to force COPY to leave some space in each data block when it loads
> > data into heap relations.
>

> Put the info into the Relation
> structure instead of cluttering heap_insert's API. (This would mean
> that *every* heap_insert is affected, not only COPY, which is what you
> want anyway I would think.)

Well, I intended it to work *only* for copy, not for insert, which is
why I did it that way.

I can see both sides of that discussion though.

> In practice, a real fix for this would add a column to pg_class, in
> which case you could get it from the Relation for free.

Again, that was intentional when I wrote it. I am inclined to agree with
that approach now, since it could be cached fairly easily.

Anyway, when I get time, I'll finish off the patch. Unless other readers
would like to follow on.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs