grant with pl/pgsql script

From: Fred Blaise <fred(dot)blaise(at)excilan(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: grant with pl/pgsql script
Date: 2005-03-15 15:00:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all

I am trying to grant privs to a user on all tables. I think I understood
there was no command to do that.... :// so I wrote the following:

create or replace function granting() RETURNS integer AS '
declare
v_schema varchar;
v_user varchar;
begin
v_user := "user"
v_schema := "public"
FOR t in select tablename from pg_tables where schemaname =
v_schema
LOOP
grant select on t to v_user;
END LOOP;
return 1;
end;
' LANGUAGE plpgsql;

I then login to psql, and do a \i myscript.sql. It returns CREATE
FUNCTION, but I cannot see anything. The tables are not granted, etc...
Also I am trying to find out how to debug this. How can I print out to
STDOUT the value of t for example?

Thanks for any help

Best,

fred