Re: Log to Syslog or rotatelogs? Advice Please

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: David Wagoner <dbwagoner(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log to Syslog or rotatelogs? Advice Please
Date: 2005-03-14 18:04:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 08:37, David Wagoner wrote:
> Postgres 7.3.9 on RH Linux...
>
> Setting up new production server-
>
> Is it better to send the postmaster log to Syslog or to rotatelogs?

That really depends more on your production environment than any thing
else.

I use apache's rotatelogs with my systems, because the only "log server"
we have is for application logging. If you use syslogd, be sure read
the man page, where they mention the - character:

"The - may only be used to prefix a filename if you want to omit
sync’ing the file after every write to it."

Which is very important if you want postgresql to keep running speedily.