Re: BUG #1365: Loose connection in idle mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jean Claude" <gaudetjc(at)neuf(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1365: Loose connection in idle mode
Date: 2004-12-29 17:15:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Jean Claude" <gaudetjc(at)neuf(dot)fr> writes:
> I didn't found any related topic about timeout connection with a non
> activity of clients. In fact the server disconnect any client after ~10
> minutes of inactivity.

There is no disconnect timeout in Postgres.

This sort of thing has been reported before, and it's always been due to
overaggressive dropping of idle connections by a firewall in between the
clients and server. NAT routers have to keep per-connection state about
the address mapping, and they will drop that state after some period of
no traffic. 10 minutes seems unreasonably short though. I hope it's
configurable on your box. If not, you can either buy a more reasonably
designed router, or tweak your clients so they do something at least
once every few minutes...