name search query speed

From: Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>
To: postgres performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: name search query speed
Date: 2005-03-03 16:38:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have about 5M names stored on my DB. Currently the searches are very
quick unless, they are on a very common last name ie. SMITH. The Index
is always used, but I still hit 10-20 seconds on a SMITH or Jones
search, and I average about 6 searches a second and max out at about
30/s. Any suggestions on how I could arrange things to make this search
quicker? I have 4gb of mem on a raid 5 w/ 3 drives. I'm hoping that I
can increase this speed w/o a HW upgrade.

thanx,
-jj-

--
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could
know how seldom they do.