Re: CVS Database

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: JinNet Picker <netpicker9(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CVS Database
Date: 2005-02-24 15:43:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 22:35, JinNet Picker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Postgres database for my Application.
>
> All my developers will be updating the database during development,
> i.e like Adding a New Field, Drop Field, Add Records etc things.
>
> The main database will be on Server, My question is ,
>
> Question 1:
> If i want to update the database which is on Production Server, i am
> dropping that first and taking export of Development Server database..
> and then i am creating Same database on Production Server with this
> export. Is there any facility or tool that Logs (with Statements i.e
> ALTER, INSERT etc ) the changes to my Development Server database ? If
> this available, i can just take from that Log file and i can update
> the Production Server database.

You could configure postgresql to log every statement (look in the
$PGDATA/postgresql.conf file, it's in the logging section.)

And then just filter the logs for alter / drop / create statements...

> Question 2:
> Some of my clients request for MySql database, is there anytoll that
> can convet the Postgres Database to MySql Database?

None that I'm familiar with. But if the databases are pretty simple, it
shouldn't be that hard. Do they really need MySQL or are they just more
familiar with it? It might behoove them and you to stick to
postgresql. I find that it's easy to outgrow MySQL's limitations as you
learn more about databases and relational theory.