Multi-Demensional Array Support.

From: Greg Johnson <gregj(at)interprose(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multi-Demensional Array Support.
Date: 2005-02-22 17:43:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I started hacking in multi-dimensional array support into the driver.

However, with the getArray() function I have to return an ArrayList of
ArrayLists (or Object[] of Object[]) instead of the native type Object
[][] for example. I was wondering what you guys/gals thoughts are on the
this?

As an application developer I personally would like to get ArrayLists of
ArrayLists back.

It seems that unless you what to have a whole bunch of nasty "if" logic
that is the only way to implement multi-dimensional arrays cleanly.
Example:
if array_dims==1
returnVal = String[];
if array_dims==2
returnVal = String[][];
else if array_dims==3
returnVal = String[][][];

.. but I am not java guru so if there is a better way let me know.

Also, is there a reason why a regular expression is not used to parse
out the array string returned from postgresql?

Thanks, I hope I can help out!
Greg