Re: MySQL to PostgreSQL movement

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL to PostgreSQL movement
Date: 2005-02-21 18:25:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 10:45 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ned Lilly wrote:
> > http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=60401366
> >
> > Excerpt:
> >
> > In an interview at LinuxWorld in Boston, Mickos acknowledged some
> > MySQL-to-PostgreSQL movement, but shrugged it off. "They [PostgreSQL]
> > absolutely try to be an Oracle replacement. We do not. We're here for
> > new markets," Mickos told CRN.
> >
> > This very much squares with what we're hearing at the booth at
> > LinuxWorld.
>
> I found that article simply amazing. I would like to put this article
> up on our web site "News" page with the title "MySQL Cedes Oracle-Style
> Market to PostgreSQL". Is that OK? The article certainly has good
> coverage for PostgreSQL, even though the title mentions only MySQL.

I had emailed her (the author of the article) to explain the license
differnece between MySQL and PostgreSQL and before I knew it she posted
what I wrote. Didn't realize that she added more to the article until I
saw this thread. :-)

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---