Re: enforcing a plan (in brief)

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enforcing a plan (in brief)
Date: 2005-02-16 02:45:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 02:38 -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> I don't know what software you work with but the Postgres source is far and
> away the best documented source I've had the pleasure to read.

I agree the PostgreSQL source is very nice (for the most part), but I
think there could be more higher-level documentation of the internals.
For example, until a few days ago the access method API was completely
undocumented (in SGML, at least). Tom has now written some good docs for
it -- that's an example of the kind of improvement I'm talking about.
Having documents describing "how to add a new index type", "how to add a
new planner node", "how to add a new DML/DDL command", and so forth
would be cool.

-Neil