Re: BLCKSZ:Max tuple size problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nick Wayne <nick_wayne(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: jeff(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLCKSZ:Max tuple size problem
Date: 2000-12-15 16:12:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nick Wayne <nick_wayne(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I went thru all the mailing list archives and other
> documentation and found the way to increase the max
> tuple size clearly as " change the BLCKSZ to ...."
> I did that and even created a new data directory and
> cluster by using init_db but the error
> psql:ins.sql:173: ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 9148,
> max size 8140
> still persists.

Sounds like you didn't do the rebuild correctly. The full recipe is

1. Change BLCKSZ in include/config.h (after running configure).
2. Do a *full* compilation. If you compiled already, do "make clean"
before "make all". Do not rely on make dependencies, because there
aren't any.
3. Install.
4. initdb.

> My question is that is there a way to reflect the
> chages to config.h in the database without
> re-istalling postgresql.

No. Page size is a pretty fundamental thing...