Re: [HACKERS] switching documentation build to XSLT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] switching documentation build to XSLT
Date: 2016-11-22 18:47:31
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I notice that whereas <xref> used to generate text like
> Section 4.1.2.7
> now you get
> Section 4.1.2.7, “Constants of Other Types”

I also find that for some reason, the results are not formatted
consistently. Section cross-references are printed with quotes
as shown above, but chapter cross-references have no quotes and
instead the chapter title is italicized. See for example the
various cross-references for GiST about halfway down this page:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/indexes-types.html

TBH though, the more examples of this I look at, the less convinced
I am that it's an improvement at all. We have an awful lot of
parenthetical cross-references like "(see Section 1.2.3)", which
previously were easy to ignore while reading, but with long section
titles attached to them they quite interrupt the sentence flow.

I can kind of see the point when printing on dead trees, but in
any format where the reference is a hyperlink, I think I'd vote
for dropping the title and going back to the old output.