Re: PostgreSQL 7.4 Documentation - perform.sgml

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Halley Pacheco de Oliveira <halleypo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4 Documentation - perform.sgml
Date: 2004-02-23 23:43:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

=?iso-8859-1?q?Halley=20Pacheco=20de=20Oliveira?= <halleypo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> In file perform.sgml is written:
> The amount of information stored in
> <structname>pg_statistic</structname>,
> in particular the maximum number of entries in the
> <structfield>most_common_vals</> and
> <structfield>histogram_bounds</>
> arrays for each column, can be set on a ...

> But most_common_vals and histogram_bounds are columns
> from the view pg_stats and not from the table
> pg_statistic.

True, but being pedantically correct would obscure the sentence
completely, I fear. You'd need some sort of arm-waving about
"the slot numbers and values entries corresponding to statistic kinds
STATISTIC_KIND_MCV and STATISTIC_KIND_HISTOGRAM", or something like
that :-(. That might be appropriate in catalogs.sgml but I think it
will just confuse the readers of perform.sgml.