Installing a 'pure' client for connecting a database server in 7.0.1

From: Manuel SEDANO <msedano(at)virtualcom(dot)es>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing a 'pure' client for connecting a database server in 7.0.1
Date: 2001-05-24 07:30:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi you all:

I´ve got some kind of a problem in the deploy of my perl client.
My environment is the following
Ihave a Solaris 7 web server in the internet, powered by apache and outside the local net.
>From it I can access, through a hole in the firewall to my PostgreSQL 7.0.2 server (Solaris 8) in the local net, and the requests can only come from the local web and from the web server, so
it works extremely fine with JSP, Java and so on (wow!).
The problem starts when I want my Perl CGI's to work in this environment, because I do not want to install more copies of Postgres in my not-very-much-free-space web server. (that´s why I
have my own DB-server).
Installation procedure tells me that I have to specify where is my Postgres installation, but I´ve got no installation!
Can anyone tell me what I have to do to configure a pure client with no server capabilities? or it´s unpossible? or takes such a big effort that it´s not worth?

Thank you.

Manuel SEDANO CADIN~ANOS
msedano(at)virtualcom(dot)es