Re: getting 'order by' working with unicode locale? ICU?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting 'order by' working with unicode locale? ICU?
Date: 2004-12-22 09:03:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval (laupäev, 18. detsember 2004, 02:41+0100), kirjutas
Palle Girgensohn:

> --On torsdag, december 16, 2004 09.20.50 +0100 Peter Eisentraut
> <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>
> > Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> >> Not on FreeBSD, since collation is not implemented in unicode
> >> locales. One way would be to implement it in the OS, of course...
> >
> > Try taking the locale definition files from another system and use
> > localedef to build locale files for your local system. The localedef
> > source files are supposed to be portable.
>
> As far as I understand, there is no code in FreeBSD to specify the
> collating order for multibyte locales. Would ot be easier to fix the OS or
> hack ICU into PostgreSQL?
>
> A bit off topic: I'm still dreaming of a way to get "order by" working with
> different locales for the same database (different clients getting
> different collation depending on their locale choice). Now this is
> hardcoded at initdb time. Is there any way this could work, ever, in
> PostgreSQL, or will I have to sort client side?

I guess you can write a function that returns something client-specific
and sort on that.

select weirdnames
from namelist
order by localesort(weirdnames, 'SE');

You can even build and index on localesort(weirdnames, 'SE') to speed
things up for some queries.

And yes, I think using ICU is the right way to do it ;)

Hannu