Re: Timestamp docs weirdness

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timestamp docs weirdness
Date: 2003-10-22 13:53:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Why do we support just 'zulu' and none of the other magic time zone names:
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/timezone.htm

AFAIK, zulu is the only one of those "military" designations that has
any currency at all. I don't feel a strong need to import the rest
... particularly not the single-letter versions; the presence of those
would allow the system to accept many typos :-(

The real answer to all such questions, though, is that we ought not have
the set of known timezone names locked down in code at all. It should
come from a user-alterable configuration file. This would let us get
rid of "australian_timezones" as well as solve the perennial gripes from
out-of-the-way places that their favorite local zone name isn't
recognized.