Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2021-03-24 16:45:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:42 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On reflection, though, I wonder if we've made pg_dump do the right
>> thing anyway. There is a strong case to be made for the idea that
>> when dumping from a pre-14 server, it should emit
>> SET default_toast_compression = 'pglz';
>> rather than omitting any mention of the variable, which is what
>> I made it do in aa25d1089.

> But also ... aren't we just doing this to work around a test case that
> isn't especially good in the first place? Counting the number of lines
> in the diff between A and B is an extremely crude proxy for "they're
> similar enough that we probably haven't broken anything."

I wouldn't be proposing this if the xversion failures were the only
reason; making them go away is just a nice side-effect. The core
point is that the charter of pg_dump is to reproduce the source
database's state, and as things stand we're failing to ensure we
do that.

(But yeah, we really need a better way of making this check in
the xversion tests. I don't like the arbitrary "n lines of diff
is probably OK" business one bit.)