Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?
Date: 2004-12-03 19:48:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 14:30, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> No. Sponsoring PostgreSQL means that the results of the effort become part
> >> of PostgreSQL (the code, the documentation, the web site, the advocacy
> >> effort, etc.). Merely producing software that works with PostgreSQL does
> >> not "sponsor" PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I go back to my http://projects.postgresql.org argument.
> >
> > Your argument suggests that we do not list JDBC or .Net... Without
> > the drivers PostgreSQL would be pretty useless.
>
> And what would you like for JDBC? Every company that has someone involved
> in maintaining it? I know Dave Cramer is a big one, but there are others
> involved in JDBC as well, who are most likely doing it for 'corporate
> reasons' and on 'corporate time' ...

If you take my role in phppgadmin, which is that of general project
administration, maintaining the demo server, and the occasional patch,
would that be enough to get my company listed as a corporate sponsor of
postgresql if that was all I did with regards to OSS PostgreSQL? I would
have to think no, otherwise we are opening a huge pandoras box with the
number of projects and developers that may be contributing... ie.
corporate sponsorship almost becomes meaningless when anyone can get it.

Robert Treat