Re: varchar sort ordering ignore blanks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: l(dot)arzeni(at)amadego(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Subject: Re: varchar sort ordering ignore blanks
Date: 2008-01-20 00:07:57
Lists: pgsql-general

"Luca Arzeni" <l(dot)arzeni(at)amadego(dot)com> writes:
> Is there any way to consider blanks meaningfull AND sort properly locale
> specific vowels ?

This isn't a Postgres question, it's a locale question. (If you try,
you'll find that sort(1) sorts the same as we do in any given locale.)

I imagine you could create a custom locale definition that acts this
way, but I have no idea about the degree of wizardry involved.
"man localedef" would probably be a place to start.

If you come up with a reasonably simple recipe for this, please post
it here, as you're not the first to have asked and you likely won't
be the last ...