Re: time to stop tuning?

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)sitesell(dot)com>
To: David Parker <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: time to stop tuning?
Date: 2004-11-26 18:29:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

#0 might actually be using connection pooling and using cached query
plans (PREPARE), disabling the statistics daemon, etc.

For the plans, send us EXPLAIN ANALYZE output for each of the common
queries.

If you can try it, I'd give a try at FreeBSD or a newer Linux on your
system instead of Solaris. Older versions of Solaris had not received
the same amount of attention for Intel hardware as the BSDs and Linux
have and I would imagine (having not tested it recently) that this is
still true for 32bit Intel.

Another interesting test might be to limit the number of simultaneous
connections to 8 instead of 30 (client side connection retry) after
client side connection pooling via pgpool or similar has been installed.

Please report back with your findings.
--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)sitesell(dot)com>