Re: Recursive SETOF function

From: Richard Rowell <richard(at)bowmansystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recursive SETOF function
Date: 2004-11-22 19:25:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have been fiddling with what you sent. I have it working mostly, save
for I keep getting syntax errors on the "RETURN NEXT cid;" line. If I
remove this line then the function works ( but returns nothing of
course). Any ideas on why the RETURN NEXT doesn't like the variable as
a parameter?

sp_demo_505=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids
(INTEGER)
RETURNS SETOF svp_getparentproviderids_uid_type
AS '
DECLARE
child_provider ALIAS FOR $1;
cid INTEGER;
BEGIN
SELECT INTO cid count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =child_provider;
IF cid = 0 THEN
RAISE EXCEPTION ''Inexistent ID --> %'', child_provider;
RETURN;
END IF;
cid := child_provider;
LOOP
EXIT WHEN cid IS NULL;
RETURN NEXT cid;
SELECT INTO cid parent_id FROM providers WHERE uid=cid;
END LOOP;
RETURN;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
CREATE FUNCTION
sp_demo_505=# select * from svp_getparentproviderids(21112);
ERROR: incorrect argument to RETURN NEXT at or near "cid"
CONTEXT: compile of PL/pgSQL function "svp_getparentproviderids" near
line 13