Re: Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date: 2004-11-12 19:53:20
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 10:38, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]
<snip>

> > These underlying structural issues need to be addressed
> > regardless of what design we use.
>
> Yes, agreed.

here is a more concrete example of a structural issue. One of the items
on the TODO list is getting some initial integration of
developer.postgresql.org into the main site. I came up with the
following structure that I think would work fairly well for integrating
the two sites:

Developer/
Roadmap/
TODO
unapplied patches
Coding/
bios
cvs retrieve
dev lists
translating
info/
flowchart
db internals
implementation
(howto build for linux/win32)
(db projects ie. odbc,jdbc,dbd,etc...)
(howto on writing docs)
Testing/
beta
dev docs
dev docs 5 min
(autobuildproject)
(nightly builds)
(report a bug)
Tools/
cvs - web
cvs interfaces - web
(lxr)
FAQ/
faq

Basically we start with a main nav "developer" link, which takes us into
the developer content. This content cant be broken down into a number of
subcategories (RoadMap, Coding, Testing, Tools, FAQ), which would have
further content underneath them. I've added some items in () to show
where future content might grow into.

In the lukasz design, I would basically be forced to have the main
developer page be a list of links that scroll down the page. In the
tinysofa design, we could put the subcatagories into a right hand nav
bar with content or further links into the main section, and it would
not be cramped in like we are with the main nav bar.

Now, we could probably accomplish this with the luckasz design, though
all we have seen are repeated right hand nav bar style pages. The
tinysofa design has the advantage of already seeing how these types of
subpages would look.

Robert Treat