Re: Final Copy Edit: Press Release, Page

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Final Copy Edit: Press Release, Page
Date: 2004-11-09 20:29:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 19:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon says
> > I'd lose the first line, not the last.
>
> Can you be more specific? Like, post your version of the cut?

The full quote is

"Fujitsu is very pleased with the new features in PostgreSQL 8.0. We are
confident that these enterprise features will attract a great number of
new PostgreSQL users.", said Mr. Takayuki Nakazawa, Director of
Fujitsu's OSS Database in Software Group. "Fujitsu is proud of its
sponsorship of contributions to PostgreSQL and of its work with the
PostgreSQL community. We are committed to helping make PostgreSQL the
leading Database Management System."

which, if forced to edit down, I would reduce to

Mr. Takayuki Nakazawa, Director of Fujitsu's OSS Database in Software
Group commented "Fujitsu is proud of its sponsorship of contributions to
PostgreSQL and of its work with the PostgreSQL community. We are
committed to helping make PostgreSQL the leading Database Management
System."

IMHO and with respect to Mr. Nakazawa, the importance of his comments
for the community and wider world are the sponsorship and commitment he
voices on behalf of a major global corporation. His starting comments
offer some context, as well as some other views that follow naturally
from the important closing statements (if they were reordered).

If it were me, I would not edit his words at all.

His last statement is the most important:

"We are committed to helping make PostgreSQL the leading Database
Management System."

This shows the strength of his position, his ambition and the fact that
he is helping, i.e. recognition that he is acting as part of a wider
community, not as de facto owner, as can be common elsewhere in OSS.

Thank you for your support Mr. Nakazawa

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs