Re: DRAFT beta release announcement

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DRAFT beta release announcement
Date: 2010-04-27 17:45:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> DATE: The first beta release of PostgreSQL version 9.0 is now
> available. Version 9.0 is the first version of PostgreSQL to inclue

s/inclue/include/; yum install aspell :)

> built-in binary database replication, consisting of two features, "Hot
> Standby" and "Streaming Replication". This new replication, as well as
> several other radical new features, will drive adoption of PostgreSQL by
> new users and in new types of applications.

"other radical new features" is a strong claim: can we back it up?

> This release is a beta version. This means that it is expected to have
> bugs, issues, and missing documentation. 9.0 beta is being released so
> that our users will find those issues and help eliminate them in time
> for the final release. All PostgreSQL users are emphatically requested
> to download and test version 9.0 to help us achieve a faster and more
> trouble-free 9.0 release.

Conflating ideas here: the "faster" is how quickly 9.0 is released, and
the "trouble-free" refers to 9.0 itself. The sentence currently says that
users will make 9.0 itself faster.

> * Redesigned LISTEN/NOTIFY built-in event notifications

Redesigned is not a power statement. Perhaps "improved"?

> * Conditional and Column Triggers

Column-based?

> * Numerous PL/Perl improvements

So vague it should be at the end of the list

> * Uniqueness constraints for non-scalar data

Could be written better.

* Improved key-value data support

Very vague: can we be more specific?

> Because of the many new major features, as well as overhauled internal
> code, in version 9.0, there are expected to be a number of
> backwards-compatibility issues.

Remove the first comma. Is the "overhauled internal code" any more than
any other release? Sentence still reads funny even with the comma
removed...

Might also want to mention how to give feedback (I presume -bugs?)

- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 201004271342