Re: Possible performance regression with pg_dump of a large number of relations

From: Luke Cowell <lcowell(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible performance regression with pg_dump of a large number of relations
Date: 2018-01-24 21:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Stephen, thank you for putting this together.

> If folks get a chance to take a look at the query and/or test, that'd be
> great. I'll try to work up an actual patch to pg_dump this weekend to
> run it through the regression tests and see if anything breaks.

I'm not sure how I can help other than testing that this runs. I can confirm that it runs on 10.1. It does not run on 9.5 or 9.6 and gives this error:
> ERROR: relation "pg_init_privs" does not exist
> LINE 139: LEFT JOIN pg_init_privs pip

I'm guessing that the error is not surprising and that the query is intended for an upcoming release of postgres and wouldn't be backported to 9.6.x

Luke