Re: survey of WAL blocksize changes

From: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: survey of WAL blocksize changes
Date: 2009-05-28 01:37:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I find it pretty hard to beleive that 8k is precisely where a drop in
performance shows up unless there's some peculiar reason.

The only peculiar reason I can imagine is full page writes. If the
dbt2 workload is modifying already full pages then the full page
writes will always be just shy of a complete page and with the xlog
record might consistently be just larger than a full block.

I'm not immediately sure why that would cause a problem but it's been
a while since I traced through the xlog code.

--
Greg