Re: Version defines

From: James William Pye <flaw(at)rhid(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Version defines
Date: 2004-10-31 17:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 08:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> This has been proposed and rejected before, mainly on the grounds that
> it would encourage bad programming practices.

I admit that I am probably practicing this bad programming at few places
in my source, and shame on me for it. I have hoped to tighten it up a
bit later, but it is convenient for the time being.

> At compile time, you should be checking the specific feature you care
> about,

Well, for one of my uses, it is not a feature check. My PL loads a
Python extension module whose path is dependent on the major and minor
version of the PostgreSQL installation that the PL was compiled against.
So I construct the module path string based on the major and minor at
compile time.

If this is the stance that the group has, that is fine. For now, I will
continue my shameful practice of parsing up pg_config --version and
defining the components for use in my source. (;

--
Regards,
James William Pye