Re: Index relation size

From: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: "Rigmor Ukuhe" <rigmor(dot)ukuhe(at)finestmedia(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index relation size
Date: 2004-10-26 00:44:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 05:02, Rigmor Ukuhe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have table with size ~35 MB, it has several indexes and couple of them are
> well over 500 MB in size (they are indexes with 3-4 columns involved, with
> datatypes like varchar, int4 , timestamp, boolean).
> Database is VACUUMed nightly, version is 7.2.4 (cant upgrade to newest
> version at the moment). Are these
> index sizes indicating some problems with our Postgres server?

Assuming you aren't suffering from index bloat, which was a problem in
7.2, this may be normal. To see if you are, try "reindex indexname" and
see if the index shrinks.

Multicolumn indexes being bigger than their table because of the way
they're put together, so it's likely that when you get done reindexing
the index will still be bigger than the table.