Re: ARC Memory Usage analysis

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: ARC Memory Usage analysis
Date: 2004-10-22 20:21:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 20:35, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 10/22/2004 2:50 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>

> > My proposal is to alter the code to allow an array of memory linked
> > lists. The actual list would be [0] - other additional lists would be
> > created dynamically as required i.e. not using IFDEFs, since I want this
> > to be controlled by a SIGHUP GUC to allow on-site tuning, not just lab
> > work. This will then allow reporting against the additional lists, so
> > that cache hit ratios can be seen with various other "prototype"
> > shared_buffer settings.
>
> All the existing lists live in shared memory, so that dynamic approach
> suffers from the fact that the memory has to be allocated during ipc_init.

[doh] - dreaming again. Yes of course, server startup it is then. [That
way, we can include the memory for it at server startup, then allow the
GUC to be turned off after a while to avoid another restart?]

> What do you think about my other theory to make C actually 2x effective
> cache size and NOT to keep T1 in shared buffers but to assume T1 lives
> in the OS buffer cache?

Summarised like that, I understand it.

My observation is that performance varies significantly between startups
of the database, which does indicate that the OS cache is working well.
So, yes it does seem as if we have a 3 tier cache. I understand you to
be effectively suggesting that we go back to having just a 2-tier cache.

I guess we've got two options:
1. Keep ARC as it is, but just allocate much of the available physical
memory to shared_buffers, so you know that effective_cache_size is low
and that its either in T1 or its on disk.
2. Alter ARC so that we experiment with the view that T1 is in the OS
and T2 is in shared_buffers, we don't bother keeping T1. (as you say)

Hmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to judge its effectiveness -
simplifying things is likely to make it easier to understand and predict
behaviour. It's well worth trying, and it seems simple enough to make a
patch that keeps T1target at zero.

i.e. Scientific method: conjecture + experimental validation = theory

If you make up a patch, probably against BETA4, Josh and I can include it in the performance testing that I'm hoping we can do over the next few weeks.

Whatever makes 8.0 a high performance release is well worth it.

Best Regards,

Simon Riggs