Re: data not getting inserted into table

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: akanksha kulkarni <akanksha_kul(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data not getting inserted into table
Date: 2004-10-21 18:38:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 09:51, akanksha kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying a simple insert command with select
> statement (Insert into <table> (<column list>) select
> <column list> from <table>).
> The data to be inserted is around 1 GB.
> The problem is that at the end of the insert
> operation, data is NOT inserted.
>
> I was monitoring target table file size and it was
> getting increased during the operation. However at the
> end of insert operation, the size has returned to old
> size.
> I changed some parameters in postgres configuration
> file which are as follows:
> checkpoint_segments=20
> sort_mem = 16384
> checkpoint_timeout=500
> This I did because during earlier operations, I was
> getting message "too many checkpoints. Consider
> increasing checkpoints_segments"
>
> So please can someone tell me why data is not getting
> inserted in table?

Unlikely that any of those config settings would anything to do with it,
but without more info we're kind of flying blind. I'm going to guess
your either not COMMITting your transaction when your done, or your
getting an error your unaware of. Check your database logs (or turn them
on in postgresql.conf if needed) and post back to the list with an error
message and version information.

Robert Treat