Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Emanuel Calvo <3manuek(at)esdebian(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument
Date: 2014-11-08 02:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm having problems getting this to compile on MSVC. Attached is a patch
> which fixes the problem.

The committed code is completely broken on compilers that don't accept
varargs macros, and this patch will not make them happier.

Probably what needs to happen is to put extra parentheses into the call
sites, along the lines of

#ifdef BRIN_DEBUG
#define BRIN_elog(args) elog args
#else
#define BRIN_elog(args) ((void) 0)
#endif

BRIN_elog((LOG, "fmt", ...));

Or we could decide we don't need this debugging crud anymore and just
nuke it all.