Re: Platform FAQs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Platform FAQs
Date: 2002-09-29 15:20:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I would like to integrate the platform FAQs into the installation
> instructions, into a new section "Platform-specific Notes". That way it
> would be more convenient both to find and to maintain that information.
> Comments?

IIRC, some of the platform FAQs contain some material that doesn't
really fit under installation instructions; will you also be adding
platform-specific notes in the regression test discussion and perhaps
other places?

I like the platform FAQ arrangement because it's simple to whip out
a new platform FAQ based on notes from a port developer. It's also
easy for someone using a platform to find all the platform-specific
material they need to know. I'm not sure that moving the info into
the already-massive SGML docs would really be a step forward.