Postgres setup question

From: rjyoung(at)scs(dot)carleton(dot)ca
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres setup question
Date: 2004-09-20 16:04:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi there,

I've been looking into configuring Postgres for a small/medium sized group of
users for a local computer science society. We want to give each user their own
database, and have it administratable via the Usermin web interface (some people
will be fairly green, and we felt Usermin gives a decent gui to get your legs in
postgres (as well as other things the society is going to offer.)) Now, the
problem is, Usermin has to be configured to connect to the template1 database by
default (or some other database,) and we want the user to connect to use the
database with the same name as their user account name.

I am thinking of simply allowing users to connect the template1 database and the
database with their name. Would this be adequate, or will I have to make sure
that only the postgres user can edit the template1 database? I want to make
sure the normal users cannot edit the template1 database.

Cheers
Robert Young